Winter songs are meant to act like a warm blanket during the coldest time of the year. Since the season encourages us to stay indoors, winter songs offer us some much needed comfort when we’re feeling alone. That’s why they often touch on serious topics from isolation and seasonal depression to lost love and the feeling of hopelessness. However, not all winter songs are sad songs. Some capture the excitement of the holiday season with lyrics about having fun in the snow, spending time with family, and falling in love with someone new. They also touch on new beginnings, with spring just on the horizon.
So, if you’re in need of a cozy playlist, here are 15 songs that touch on both the highs and lows of the winter season.
1. Songs About Winter: “Winter Song” by Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson
In “Winter Song,” Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson compare the chilly season to tough times. Since everything freezes in the winter, the pair wonder whether love can prevail against hardship just like flowers blooming beneath the snow.
2. Songs About Winter: “Coldest Winter” by Pentatonix
“Coldest Winter” is a hauntingly beautiful song that captures the feeling of isolation during winter.
3. Songs About Winter: “Looks Like a Cold, Cold Winter” by Ingrid Michaelson
“Looks Like a Cold, Cold Winter” is all about keeping warm with someone special by your side.
4. Songs About Winter: “Winter Wonderland” by Michael Bublé
“Winter Wonderland” is the perfect song for a snowy day. The track is all about making sweet memories with the ones you love during winter.
5. Songs About Winter: “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!” by Dean Martin
This song is about fighting the cold by curling up near a fire with someone you love.
6. Songs About Winter: “Winter Things” by Ariana Grande
In “Winter Things,” Ariana Grande reminisces over the colder months when everything feels more magical. From ice skating to playing in the snow, the star longs to re-create the fun of the season with someone special during the summer.
7. Songs About Winter: “Let It Go” by Idina Menzel
An instant winter classic, “Let It Go” is a powerful ballad about feeling as free from life’s worries as the snow flying in the air.
8. Songs About Winter: “Winter” by Khalid
Khalid compares the dead feeling of winter to his emotions after a devastating breakup. Although he feels lonelier than ever, the singer says he’ll always keep his partner’s love in his heart.
9. Songs About Winter: “Winter Bear” by V
In this track, V from BTS uses the image of a bear hibernating in winter to describe the peaceful feeling of the colder months.
10. Songs About Winter: “Sweater Weather” by The Neighbourhood
“Sweater Weather” is about a man who wants to keep his lover warm with his sweater. The lyrics are meant to symbolize the feeling of comfort and security in a relationship.
11. Songs About Winter: “Early Winter” by Gwen Stefani
“Early Winter” is about a breakup that leaves you so heartbroken that you feel like winter has come early.
12. Songs About Winter: “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” by Billie Holiday
“I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” is about not caring how cold it gets outside as long as you have that special someone wrapped up in your arms.
13. Songs About Winter: “Snow on the Beach” by Taylor Swift (ft. Lana Del Rey)
14. Songs About Winter: “A Hazy Shade of Winter” by Simon & Garfunkel
This track paints a gloomy picture of winter by comparing the dead leaves to the feeling of hopelessness.
15. Songs About Winter: “Wintertime” by Norah Jones
In “Wintertime,” Norah Jones sings about how the cold months seem to drag, especially when you’re alone. Although you try your best to stay positive, you can’t help but feel seasonal depression.